Monday 26 March 2007

Exhibition: Eye of the Artist - Devorah Sperber



I read about this exhibition in New Scientist. Sadly, it is unlikely that I will get to see it 'in the flesh', yet I was totally taken by the artist's approach to the subject matter and her technique.

I've always had a great appreciation for artwork that is beautiful, interesting and clever. Why, clever? If you look very carefully at the image you will realise that it is made up of hundreds of spools of thread. That in itself I really liked, but it gets better.

To the naked eye the work appears as a pixilated, abstract image but it is transformed by an optical device to reveal that is it actually an inverted image of a painting masterpiece, such as the example above of van Eyck's Man in a Red Turban.

A clever optical illusion. I love it!

Other works in the exhibition include Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper and the Mona Lisa, as well as Picasso's portrait of Gertrude Stein.

If anyone has the chance to go to NYC and check it out, I'd love to hear about it.


January 26–June 17, 2007
Brooklyn Museum
200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, New York

No comments: